Scrying target creatures only?

The scrying spell reads "You can observe a creature at any distance" but no mention of objects. Also depending on whether you know the creature or has his parts, he gets a will save. I'm guessing this helps prevent scrying-frying or even easily scrying an items (like an artifact) carried by a target which prevented us from scrying Buchmann and Mikmek effectively.

This suggests that Mumchance couldn't scry the boat as the target, and random uses of 'locate object' given its range and our travelling would have to be very slim or at least there is time for us to get rid of the boat at bloodcove as originally planned.

I'm guessing though we aren't going to change the past though or if Mumchance invented his own version of scrying which can target objects? If I'm right though, any chance we can salvage the ring of swimming or perk in the future?
Simple, Mumchance's familiar bilge rat Billy was still inside the boat. That might be the reason why Mumchance must find the boat. :D
I thought of that after the post although i ruled it out at first because he was fireballing the cabin and he would have known instantly that we were stealing the boat.

But then again, i guess it could explain prismatic spray first and Brian was just letting us a have a few days to destroy the ship but not enough days to reach bloodcove.
There's more than one way to skin a cat ... but this will probably be a mystery that the PCs will never understand ... until they meet Mumchance again.
If they meet Mumchance again in the near future it's unlikely they will ever understand anything again ... ;)