Icon_swordpin Game Critiques

← Previous 1 3 4
So I created this Forum so we can give some feedback on the game, for the good, the bad, or the ugly.

So ill kick it off. I thought the game went good, no real complaints other than time =) We also have a large gameing group now (with me added, whaha!) and with large groups its hard to make sure everyone has a chance to get some good Rp in at the table. So ill make it an effort on my part to keep side conversations down when someone else is trying to do something, and make sure everyone is able to pitch in.

I also notice we tend to roll alot of the same skills at the table (kinda unavodiable with bigger groups). However When a person declares they are making a skill check, only that person should roll the skill(unless it is said they are asssisting someone esle), even if that skill is lower than other players skills. I think this will help prevent only one person rolling a skill check for the group, even though multipal people have that skill.

Anyway those are just my thoughts. Ill hopefully cya yall next weekend, and feel free to chime in and let me know if you agree or disagree with what ive said.

Epic!
I would agree with the skills issue. It's problematic in D&D, currently the way the skills function there's such a limited selection of options and everyone wants to be involved and help out.

I have noticed how the D&D next iteration seems to resolve this by giving the characters each more unique skill sets makes it much easier to handle.

Side conversations are definitely going to always plague us; I blame Gabe. Dude just doesn't stop talking. Like ever.

I'd still like to see combat speed up, but without having to just rip up the way 4e works. I used to not care as much about combat speed, but with the shorter sessions we've been playing, it can really stand out when not much else happens outside two encounters and talking with a Tarek.
I like what you guys are saying about the skill checks, combat speed is always going to be a problem, but everyone needs to try and plan as best they can. That means watching what's happening, and knowing what you need to be doing if something changes.

I have an issue with us getting off-task. It's fun and all to joke sometimes, but I getting tired of every other line being a punch-line, or there always being some joke to be made out of whatever situation were in. In terms of speed of combat and improving RP, I think cutting down on these tendencies would benefit the group greatly.
Epic!
No complaints on the game. everyone's turn was resolved quickly. Players made alot of their own decisions, planed ahead, and had a good ideah of what they would do on their turn.

Quote of the night i believe was: FUCK that kitty! just had to give a nod to simple yet effective profanity.

The moto Hard and fast should also be recognised, though it does lean a little toward the implicit side.

Oh and lets not forget the double crit of sanquine, and the epic ending to the Tembo's life from a desperate crusher! That lone javelin should be your characters battle standard now.

All in all a very good game indeed sir!

That's my new motto. "Fuck that Kitty!"
Ethan
That's my new motto. "Fuck that Kitty!"

Allowed as long as it is "Hard and fast".
Epic!
I'll lead off this week. Wasn't as prepared as I'd hoped to be (goddamn dishwasher), so the game didn't move with that good of a pace.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed it despite that. Lots of excitement and tension, coupled with the loss aind partial failures. Definitely opened up more story to explore.
Dispite the dishwasher, I think everything went pretty well. Everyone was mostly on task, and kept up with what was happening. Side chatter wasn't too terrible, and everyone seemed to know what they were doing on their turns.

All in all a good game. Even if I went squish. Heh.
A quick critique on Sunday's game. One thing I bring up occasionally, but happened a lot on Sunday's game, is the reliance on rolling the die so quickly.

I'd like to try an experiment with next week's game -- instead of going for the dice at all, do one of two things:

1. Ask for information based on the scene
2. Tell me what your character is doing

Often I feel we roll the dice either 1. too quickly, or 2. too unnecessarily. For example: Having you guys roll a "nature" check when fighting the aberrants was pointless. Rather, if I wanted you to have the info, I should have provided you with the info.

Same goes for stuff like shane picking the lock near the end of the session. No die roll was required, as there was 1. no consequence of failure and 2. no real time limit to roll against.

This is similar to my thoughts on our using static ability scores to get by easy stuff, but more straightforward.

I think the skills are there to determine the outcome of a situation that has a real chance of failure. Most of the time, the roll is pointless - as making a diplomacy check ends up just being an arbitrary pass/fail situation, when your argument was good enough that it renders the roll meaningless.

So, to clarify -- forget your "skills" on Sunday. Tell me what the character is doing -- ask me questions about what they may or may not know -- I will call for rolls if they are needed, but otherwise, we'll focus on the characters and what they're doing.
I really enjoyed Sunday's session - though we all need to work on the 60 second turn and keeping OOC talk to a minimum. It'd been a while since we all got together and obviously it's enjoyable to gab and chat, as well, just want to make sure we aren't being rude to the person who's talking and trying to take their turn. Minor nitpick.

Otherwise, I thought everyone was really on point and did a great job of being in character and making some solid decisions. Ptpatpakcha is starting to have some good character moments, as well.

Here's to the next session, whenever it may be!
Always nice to see people go for the cool and actually pull it off, since I almost always epically fail with like a 1 when I try to pull shit off. :(
Epic × 2!
Agreed. It was good to see everyone- but we could have been more on target with the 60- second turns. I really wanted that second fight. C'mon guys. We can do so much better.
Epic!
I think turn time is a part of why sessions aren't as efficient as they could be, but in all honesty, the group getting off task in the middle of the session and taking a while to get rolling seems like a greater part of it. It's enjoyable to be able to discuss all sorts of nerd-related topics there, though we need to focus a little more. I think everyone has a role in this, including myself, and we should try and find a way to bring ourselves back on track constructively and in a positive way. I hope saying this doesn't cause resentment, I think we're all on board with getting more time to play D&D.

I'm going to try and take notes on something I may want to bring up in the middle of the session so I can bring it up at the end to talk about.
Epic!

Sam
I hope saying this doesn't cause resentment,

F&@k you!

Ok, not f you. We're All in agreement. It's good to hear everyone saying it. Lets kick some in character ass this week!
By constructive- do you mean no throwing of dice, and cursing at people? Because I could bring baby carrots. They are healthy and not dice.. And thus are throwable.

But all kidding aside. When we get six references deep, it may be time to take a break and play dnd.
← Previous 1 3 4