|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|L|G|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|C|-|-|-||-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
My idea was if there was some preset code that would set a simple B&W battle grid gif under the post you could use the [ pre] [/ pre] tags to
set up the encounter with just spaces.

XXX
O

L G
C

Well, seeing as the pre tag has a grey BG i guess it would have to be a special pre tag with a grid background. It'd take a bunch of time to get the vertical spacing right, I know. But I wanted to throw it out there as an idea. The preview pane serves has a really easy way for the GM to mess with the horizontal placement.

I also think it's a hell of a lot easier then some GUI flash/javascript/php interface and somewhat more practical for some situations.

And the GM can either just edit the one post, or copy paste it in others, has battle takes place.
That's an interesting idea. There's no reason I couldn't set something like that up.
I think this could come in useful. It also reminds me of an old top down RPG
Forgive for any silly questions, but as being new to both the group & D&D4e, I'm trying to catch up.

What exactly would we use the above battlemat for? Would it be for online use or just to post "Battle Reports" to the forums for us to look back on or for people missing that particular game to be able to catch up from online information after the game itself?
Oh, no, it would mainly be used to actually play online, using Skype/Chat and using Epicwords to roll/track characters. This way you can just copy paste the last "battlemat" into a new post and show where the enemy/players have moved. I labeled my post P-B-P for play-by-post which is mainly what playing online this way would entail.

If you are meeting face to face to play it's less useful, though you might still use it to make a "snap shot" of combat if you have to stop in the middle...... especially if you have cats that think your combat layout is a nice bed with toys in it for them to play with.......

**EDIT: and fat cats, at that **
Ah... I got the "site forum" confused with our group "forum" and was wondering...

I can see how that would be good for PbP games. One option that I've used for friends and I are Maptools which would be good for a game if everyone is on Skype. I don't know if you can attach a jpg file here, but I suppose Maptools could also be used to post a picture of the battle plan as well.
Well look at that. Never seen the site before. I'm going to give some of the tools a try, the map editor looked pretty snazzy. Have you tested it with an iphone/smart phone, etc.?

I'll check to make sure it's not too much crap going on at once. Getting players (and myself for that matter) to focus on the task at hand can be half the challenge.
I use maptools a lot. Even for face-face games, my friend who hosts our games has a giant flatscreen tv that we plug into a laptop in client mode in maptools. As the initiative moves from player to player we pass around a wireless mouse. There are also macro frameworks for various systems such as D&D3.5 and Pathfinder. They can be used to automate attack rolls, rolling for initiative, keeping track of hitpoints, etc. It also has automated vision blocking.
All of this *IS* time consuming and just about doubles the prep time for a game and unless you are a maptools master, basically eliminates the ability to do improvised adventures unless your players are patient enough (or can just go play wow for a bit) to let you spend 15 minutes in the middle of a game to draw out a map. When I started using it with my current group we basically had to cancel the first two games because of technical difficulties. My very wonderful players were ok with that as several of them were new and the others helped them out learning the rules and worked on their characters.
Re: iPhone support, There *IS* an iPhone app for it, but it can only connect to a server version that is something like a year and a half old. One of my players uses it for another game he is in and likes it a lot.
I kind of thought that would be the case. And, for better or worse, I do a lot of my game prep from work. I was messing with it last night and, I mean, if you have the time it's downright awesome!

I'd still like to have the option for a quick battle since, lets be honest, not every skirmish needs (or can have) that level of attention.

I tried messing with the tools on my phone but obviously it's not working. Gotta try and keep this stuff light, mobile, and fast.