Retired Chars

← Previous 1 3
As with most posts I'm sorry if this thread already exists, but I have a request.

Recently we had a tough night and all but a few of my players died horribly deaths at the hands of the forces of darkness.

This situation hasn’t cropped up in any of my campaigns (when using EW) before, but I noticed that when my players made new chars they had to "retire" their characters so the posts stay in the campaign thread.

In any case now that you have the back story here is what I propose;

1. can you add another (or a few if you think it warrants it) option to retiring characters; died.

2. Alpha sort characters but move those that have "retired" to a separate alpha sort underneath the active characters

As always, thanks Admin.
First, I'll address #2. This is a great idea. Something I should have done before!

Second, #1. What, from a mechanical perspective, do you see as the difference between 'died' and 'retire'? Are you thinking that it functions the same but just has some status flag indication the 'story reason' for retirement? Or is there some other functionality associated with 'died'?
If it's just a description of why the character is no longer being played, I could see adding several story-driven descriptions to the retired status (e.g. Death, Old-age, Became Evil, Became NPC, Got Married, etc...), perhaps making it an open ended field people can optionally fill out. I'm liking this idea a lot. I just want to clarify in case there is something I was missing.
You are correct on the later. I was trying to think of additional topics that I could have inserted rather than just died, but was having difficulty in doing so.

You hit the nail right on the head with story driven retired status; death, NPC, old age, etc.

Cheers!
Additional support for this addition, here. I know in my campaigns, for sure, retiring could always mean you come out of retirement, while death is quasi-permanent. For the rules of some systems I recommend making two options for death: Dead-Buried, Dead-Bodiless. Since it'd affect any future possible occurrences of that player.

LOL -- next you just need a Character Graveyard tab complete with Oregon Trail style tombstones "Here lies Sir Gregory -- Killed trying to equip the Head of Vecna"
That would be awesome! I could see putting epitaph on the characters and to create a site-wide graveyard. So people can peruse dead characters and read how they died. Maybe leave flowers for them, too.
Ok now you are talking. In my NPC sexton I have 13 NPCs listed under book of the dead and 34 NPC listed under "retired". Most of the retired NPCs are former players that moved on, tried characters and didn't like them or had to take a break from gaming over the course of 2 years at our local game shop. The Book of the Dead represents characters and NPCs (major) that have died over the last 2 years.

I still think that there needs to be a better (for the GM) system when a player/character leaves the group and takes his journal, posts, history, story with him. Maybe the GM receives a notification that says, player/character has bailed, would you like to copy his character and all posts over as an NPC?

I also support the retired, why additional tags, and a "Book of the Dead"', Character Graveyard.

Regards
Brendan
Additional support for this addition, here. I know in my campaigns, for sure, retiring could always mean you come out of retirement, while death is quasi-permanent. For the rules of some systems I recommend making two options for death: Dead-Buried, Dead-Bodiless. Since it'd affect any future possible occurrences of that player.

LOL -- next you just need a Character Graveyard tab complete with Oregon Trail style tombstones "Here lies Sir Gregory -- Killed trying to equip the Head of Vecna"

This is an Epic tale the Head of Vecna. No artifact in the verse holds the might of the head of Vecna!

Nice!
to add more stuff to your workload, I was wondering if you could also link the alpha sorting of retired chars to the exp track offered on the xp tab? so that way I dont automatically look at retired chars for when I add exp to completed quests and battles? that would be awesome admin.

No problem!
How about give the GM the ability to "retire" a player character for when those players go AWOL and never come back, but you want to keep the journal entries and such.
← Previous 1 3