Quests!

← Previous 1 3 4 5
Pointer-left Scales_of_war_thumb
Ali
This is totally not an urgent request at all since it could easily be managed by a DM through the wikis, anyway, here goes.

Many games these days are quest-heavy, D&D being one in particular. Some even go so far as to suggest a DM hand out quest cards for each quest they are on so the players can keep track of the details. It would be nice if Epic Words had an integrated quest management system, and here's how I propose it might work:

Create a dedicated wiki page, much like you have the references page as a special kind of wiki. You could add items to it. The items (quests) would be treated as a checklist with embedded spoilers. The important details would always be visible (quest name, date assigned, contact person? i'm not sure what would count as most important). Then the rest of the details would be hidden so it fits better in list format as a spoiler, but with the text on the spoiler button changed to "Quest Details." You could have fields for details, like quest giver, location, accepted reward, goals, possible location of target, date assigned, conditions, etc. Then the DM would be able to edit the status of a quest - not assigned, accepted, completed, aborted/failed. The quests would be sorted by status, so accepted quests would be on top, and once it was completed it would move down the list. And you could make the accepted quests bold and completed ones italic. Can you do strikethrough for failed quests? It would be nice if it was a numbered list if it's a long game so you can see how many quests you've done.

Here would be a sample:

1. Rescue the princess - Major Quest

3. Have pie - Minor Quest

2. Take out the garbage - Major Quest

4. Buy admin some candy - Minor Quest - FAILED

hmmm... Very interesting idea. I kind of like it, actually. Most computer RPGs have something like this and it makes sense. I can totally see this being useful for tabletop games as well...
I'll see what I can do.
So, it's not the most elegant feature on the site, but it's there. I'll probably add some more features to it and clean up the interface over time, but go ahead and try it out.
Ali
It's beautiful! I love the parent quest idea, hadn't thought of that. And it makes more sense to have it work like the references than having spoiler buttons.

Perhaps you could work the parent quest thing like you do for the wikis - you have child wikis OR a category. Would that make any sense at all? Then you could group quests - story quests, character quests? What do you think?

Something like a bug: I made a quest and in the description section created a list. it showed up like this:

• point 1

• point 2

• point 3

Yeah, I'll probably add categories at some point. I also need to add activity and notifications and stuff like that. It's far from a finished feature. I just wanted to throw it up there so you can see what it's like and kick the tires, so to speak.

I'll see what I can do about fixing that list display issue in the mean time. Let me know if you find any other bugs or issues with it!
    Ali
    I think it would be great if (When the feature is finished) it could be displayed on the front page of the campaign, under your campaign description but above your latest journal entries. Perhaps you could make it display all active quests, or active major quests. This would help to remind players what they should be focusing on, and also (with a link to the quests page) be a way of showing off the cool new feature.
    You're reading my mind! Active quests deserve a spot on the Dashboard, for sure!
    I love the quest idea. Could you add the VIEW drop down list:

Everyone
    GM & Players
    GM Only

This will give us the ability to prepare some in advance and turn them on as the game progresses.

I would also look at the section as rumor, no actually I will probably make rumors in the WIKI's section. The only reason I was thinking about this is many times the rumors turn into quests or missions.

Anyway I am so excited that I can't stop. Warning I may offer more ideas in another thread.

Regards
    Adding permissions is a good idea. It does add quite a bit of complexity, so it might be a while before I get it out. Keep the ideas coming! They're always welcome.
    Is the GM Note that you added in the NPCs and References the same as permissions? Maybe no drop down but just the GM Note like the others.

Thanks
    ← Previous 1 3 4 5